Webmaster's Note: Because the BikeAbout team is traveling in smaller groups for a little while, we have changed the format of the journal slightly. The dispatches for Turkey will be presented in geographical rather than chronological order. To view the chronological order, go to the itinerary.
topics: mountain cheese, Gallipoli, Dardanelles Strait, being hidden in the back room of a restaurant; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
February 25, 1998
|Sunrise (local): 6:46 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 5:49 p.m.
|Traveled Since Last Dispatch|
29 mi / 47 km
Cumulative Total (all groups)
3030 mi / 4879 km
|Lat: 41° 00' 32" N|
Lon: 28° 58' 52" E
Elev: 22 ft / 35 m
- Where We Are: Istanbul
- Where We're Staying: Behan and her sister's place
- Places We Visited: Gallipoli Peninsula, some unmarked ruins, the Dardanelles Strait
- Featured Site: the Dardanelles Strait, the gateway to Europe and Asia, connecting the Aegean and Marmara Seas
- Person of the Day: Curt and Dale, the couple on bikes from Canada!
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: Van Peyniri, or Otlu Peynir is "mountain cheese"
- Breakfast: Gülden bread, yogurt, quince and plum jam
- Lunch: Gülden bread and plum jam, fruit
- Dinner: sautéed vegetables, rice, tea
- Olive count: 1770
- Word of the Day: "Mutlu Yillar" means "Happy Years" and is the Turkish way to say "Happy Birthday!" In case you ever need to know... (Another way to say Happy Birthday in Turkish is "Dogumgünün Kutlu Olsun")
- Tech Fact of the Day: Turkish restaurants have separate dining rooms for single women called the aile salonu - but andrEa and Corinne refused to sit there.
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 21
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 26
Next Stop: Istanbul
Internet access while in Turkey was provided by Raksnet.
Copyright 1997-99 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.