topics: ojja (food), Odysseus/Ulysses, Homer, HISTORY, Ghirba ("Marvelous") synagogue, diaspora, agriculture, fondouks (caravanseries), tourism, economy, health care, education, human rights; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
November 4–7, 1997
|Sunrise (local): 6:39 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 5:21 p.m.
|Traveled Since Nov. 3|
68 mi / 109 km
1045 mi / 1682 km
|Lat: 33° 52' 42" N|
Lon: 10° 51' 31" E
Elev: 0 ft / 0 m
[Webmaster's note: This dispatch covers the travel days from November 4 to November 7. The almanac data refers to November 7.]
- Where We Are: Houmt Souk, Djerba
- Where We're Staying: Auberge de Jeunesse (located in a refurbished fondouk)
- Places We Visited: Island of Djerba
- Featured Site: Ghirba Synagogue
- Person of the Day: Odysseus/Ulysses
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: ojja
- Breakfast: chocolate éclair
- Lunch: brik
- Dinner: ojja de merguez and spaghetti
- Olive Count: 1070
- Word of the Day: This recorded expression means "Are you in good health?" in Tunisian Arabic.
- Tech Fact of the Day: Tunisia just celebrated 200 years of diplomatic relations with the United States.
- Flat Count: 2
- Broken Spoke Count: 13
Next Stop: Tunis!
Copyright 1997-2004 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.