topics: Nafplio, Venetian Fortresses, biking in snow, Arcadia region, Tripoli, Pan the god of good times, peaceful mountains; jump to dispatch
|At 6:00 PM|
March 19, 1998
|Sunrise (local): 6:39 a.m.|
Sunset (local): 6:41 p.m.
[3/18: 30°F !]
|Traveled Since Last Dispatch|
78 mi / 126 km
3311 mi / 5331 km
|Lat: 37° 40' 52" N|
Lon: 22° 01' 42" E
Elev: 1660 ft / 506 m
- Where We Are: Langadia
- Where We're Staying: Hotel Kentrikon ()
- Places We Visited: Palamidi Fortress in Nafplio (), the snows of Mount Varson, Forthnet office in Tripoli (), fields of Pan
- Featured Site: Palamidi Fortress of Nafplio
- Person of the Day: Pan, the dancing, flute playing, centaur-like god
- What We Ate:
- Food of the Day: chicken and mozzarella bake
- Breakfast: spinach pie
- Lunch: fruit, bread, hot tea
- Dinner: bean soup, salad, chicken
- Olive count: 1889
- Word of the Day: A person who is in love with cities is an "astiphile", which comes from the Greek word "astifelia." The word "asti" means city, and "felia" means to have love for something or someone. Like the word philosophy means love of thought!
- Tech Fact of the Day: windburn versus sunburn
- Flat Count (Cumulative): 22
- Broken Spoke Count (Cumulative): 27
Next Stop: Olympia ()
Internet access while in Greece has been provided by FORTHNet.
Copyright 1997-99 BikeAbout. All rights reserved.